Monday, June 21, 2010

Our Journey to Forever- Part 7

Since we are nearing the end of the month, and the end of this series, I thought you all might be interested to know the prize that is yours to be won, should you reign victorious. 

Roon and I both agree that there is one date that we had that stood out from all the others.  To me, it was the date where I knew I loved him, but wasn't quite ready to admit it to myself yet.  The prize will consist of all the things we did on this date.  Obviously, I skipped the details up until now, and that's not going to change quite yet.  It will allow for a fun night out (or in) for you and your sweetheart though!

Okay, so where was I?  Oh yeah, February.  Roon and I continued to spend every spare moment together.  My "dream guy" list hung on my wall, mocking me every time I got home from a date.  One night, I took the list down off my wall, and read through the characteristics.  When I reached the end of the list, and realized that Roon had met every criteria I had for a potential mate, I slumped down on my bed, and said "Ah, crap".  Now it was time to think about this for real.  Now, I know that a lot of you may be thinking, "how can you tell someone you love them, without knowing if you're serious about them or not?" that answer is simple.  My mom taught me from a very early age to tell people you love, that you love them.  Friends, relatives, whomever.  I had to figure out if the "love" I felt for Roon was a long lasting "I want to be with this person forever" kind of love, or if it was more an "I'm so glad you're in my life, we'll always be friends" kind of love.  I knew with my "Ah, crap" moment that he was potentially the one for me, I just had to know for sure.  So, I started to pray about it.  Roon started praying about it too, but I didn't know that. 

I remember one day in particular.  I had been praying about it for a while, and felt good when I was around him, but there hadn't been any real clear cut answer.  Roon came to my apartment to go with me and Becky  to the nursing home.  She worked there, and one of the residents loved to have her come and play games with him.  When Roon walked through the door of my apartment, my heart skipped a beat.  I was overcome with emotion.  But, I was stubborn.  I dismissed the feeling as being just the fact that I was in the early stages of puppy love.  At the time, I was 18.  WAY too young to think about getting married.  We headed to the nursing home to play "Help Your Neigbor" with the resident.  While we were sitting at the table playing, I heard a voice/prompting in my head that said "you're going to marry him."  That was the end of my reluctance.
Roon had a little different experience.  My mom had sent him an email, basically alerting him to the fact that I had been hurt in the past.  She urged him to take it easy with me, and that she didn't want me to end up hurt should we break up.  Roon realized as he read that, that he had no intention of breaking up with me...ever. 

The semester reached the point where I needed to think about housing contracts for the following year.  I went and looked at a few with my roommates, but felt conflicted.  I was reluctant to sign anything, because I knew I was going to get married.  I just didn't know when.  I knew I was supposed to marry Roon, but didn't know if he knew it yet.  I temporarily put the apartment hunting on hold. 

One day, Roon was over at my apartment, and we were talking.  Roon liked to tease me about how young I was, since he has a younger brother who is barely younger than me.  He announced that I was too young for him, and that he should introduce me to his brother. 
I agreed.
He joked that maybe then his brother and I could end up married.
I supposed that was possible.
He said that if I was married to his brother, at least then we could still hang out on occasion.
I guessed we would, at family gatherings...
Then he said:  "Or, you could just marry me, and save yourself the trouble."
Hey!  That works too!

The following weekend, I went home with him, to meet his parents. 

Sometime before I met his parents, Roon and I were talking about rings.  He asked if I wanted to pick it out.  I told him that I would give him a general idea of what I liked, but that I most certainly did NOT want to be involved in the picking and purchasing process AT ALL.  After all, if I knew how much it cost, I would most likely feel guilty about it.  I gave him a general idea, and left it up to him. 

The weekend with his parents went well.  They loved me immediately, and since nearly every member of his family lives on the same street, I was overwhelmed by the names and faces I would have to remember.  The day after we got there, Roon's mom suggested we go into town, to look at rings.  Roon told her how I felt about that.  She insisted that it would just be to look, not to buy.  It would give Roon a better idea of what I wanted, she had said.  So, I surrendered.  We headed into town.  I browsed as much as I could without looking at prices.  I found a set that I really liked, and pointed it out to Roon. 
"Something like this would be great." I said. 
Before I knew it, Roon's mom was summoning the jeweler, and they were sizing my finger, all the while placing the order for my ring.  Prices and all.
What the crap just happened?! 
A week or two later, my ring was ready, so we went back to visit Roon's parents, and pick it up.  I had told Roon that he still owed me a "down on one knee" proposal, and I would not wear the ring until I got it, and he had met my mother. 
The jeweler didn't know this.  When we went to pick up my ring, he gave the ring to Roon (not in a box) and told him to put it on my finger.  I shook my head.  (thinking there is no way in he** he's getting out of a real proposal)  The jeweler persisted.  So, Roon slipped my ring on my finger. 
On the way out to the car, I informed Roon that he still owed me a proposal.
We got back to his parents' house.  I slipped the ring back off my finger, and handed it to him.  I told him when he was ready to ask me, he could do it, and I would say yes, but I wanted a real proposal. 
I sat down on the couch.  Roon came and sat down beside me.  He said "I guess now's as good a time as any." and got down on one knee. 
I can't remember what all he said, but I know it was sweet and hearfelt. 
Even though it wasn't an elaborate, planned out proposal like I always thought I'd have, I said yes.  After all, "spontaneous" was one of the characteristics I wanted in a man...

So, the answers to the questions were:
2:  Spur of the moment, and out of the blue.
2:  2 times he proposed to me.
2:  I picked out my own ring.

Now let's start the planning, shall we?

Roon and I were married in an LDS temple. 

HOW DID WE PICK WHICH TEMPLE TO BE MARRIED IN?
  1. Carefully picked it based on geographic location.
  2. We didn't, it was assigned to us, or picked for us.
  3. Totally random/ let fate decide.
BONUS QUESTION:

YES OR NO?
Did our wedding date or venue change during the planning process?

7 comments:

Emmy said...

Hmmm tricky. But I am going to go with 2 and yes. These posts are still so fun to read!

shortmama said...

Im going with 2 and yes!

Macey said...

I'm gonna go with.....
lemme think.
Okay. So, I'm gonna say....hold on. Gotta think so more.
1 and yes.

Jennifer said...

it was totally random/let fate decide

and yes

Xazmin said...

I love your story!!!

I'm going to say "1" and Yes!

Myya said...

Awe that is such a sweet story. I love ooey gooey lovey dovey love stories! I am going to say 1 & Yes. Although, I know I am not going to come even close to catching up to the big dogs. I do love playing though. : )

Allyson said...

3 - I remember this part of the story.

Yes, something changed during the planning process.