Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Never Trust a Skinny Chef

weightloss


Today, our assignment was to share a healthy recipe with the group.  When I began searching the recesses of my brain to come up with one, I realized that I hate to cook.  I do have my "staple" recipes that I turn to on a regular basis, but I'm not sure any of them could be considered "healthy".  For example...

We love to have grilled chicken in the summertime, with maybe a baked potato, and/or a salad (either fruit or greens).  However, since I marinate the chicken in some sort of bottled marinade, I'm sure it is less than ideal.  We like butter and sour cream on our baked potatoes, so again...not healthy. 

Occasionally, we will have "meatless" meals, but they too will usually consist of something like "loaded baked potatoes", where I will supply a whole variety of things to top a baked potato.  While there are items like brocolli and low fat shredded cheese, there is also butter, sour cream, and a  cheese sauce I make that is almost guaranteed to clog your arteries.  Along the same lines, we will occasionally have "Super salads" and  top our basic green salad with our favorite toppings.  Some chopped ham, hard boiled eggs, raisins, sunflower seeds, etc.  But, we use bottled dressing.  If you're my kids, you use a LOT of bottled dressing. 

Normally, I hold true to the old adage of "never trust a skinny chef", but when looking for healthy recipes, I think they are exactly the people you should turn to.  Giada De Laurentiis is one of my favorite chefs on Food Network.  I don't watch very often, but she makes the most delicious looking italian food.  I have tried several, and am never disappointed.  She's a teeny tiny woman, so I'm pretty sure the only food she eats are the bites she takes on the air, but whatever. 

Since I don't have any healthy recipes of my own, I did a Google search for "healthy recipes", and the first link I clicked on was THIS ONE.  I haven't tried it yet, but I really want to.  I trust Giada to deliver in the taste department, and it got excellent reviews.  If you try it before I do, let me know what you think!  I think it looks pretty tasty...

Sorry.  Totally lame, I know, but do you really want a recipe from someone with my current physique?!  How do you think I got this way?!

Click on the cute as a button...well, button at the top to link up your own healthy recipe.  If you don't have one, you can always do what I did!






6 comments:

Macey said...

That DOES look pretty good, but I'd rather have what you make! :)

shortmama said...

Yeah I think Id take some meat and loaded potato and salad any day!

Anonymous said...

I don't like to cook much. I do like to make carbs or on rare occasions cook a tried and true recipe for loved ones.
This Glada recipe is making me hungry. It does look very good. I love olives.
Thanks.

Myya said...

Mmmm BIG salads are sooo yummy! Now I'm craving one... of course i will probably put too much dressing on it though. sigh. :)

Mamarazzi said...

Giada rocks!

i love what you said, "do you really want a recipe from someone with my current physique?!"

HILARIOUS!!

sanjeet said...

wow amazing
PPC Advertising India