Monday, April 5, 2010

Think, Before You Speak.

Well, it's Monday, and as you know, that means it's time for Myya's "stick your foot in your mouth, Monday" over at Myya Says. Since my life is like a scrapbook of what NOT to say, I figure this is a great Meme for me to link up with regularly.



Do you ever wish your life had a Tivo? Like, you could pause the screen, look around, and edit your comments accordingly? If they ever did come up with something like that, they would make bank, that is for sure.

First, a little back story...

Roon served a mission for our church for 2 years in the Dominican Republic. When the locals would see his name tag, they would say "Carter! Como- Jimmy Carter!" and then they would laugh. Yes, the name Carter was not nearly as common there as it is here, so they were fascinated that they knew any other person with such a last name.

From the time Roon and I got married, he had been joking about names for our children that would copy real life high profile people. For example: James (Jimmy), Vincent, and Kijana. Yeah, I never took him seriously.

When I was pregnant with Bug, Roon and I went with some other older couples in our ward out to dinner, that would also serve as a leadership meeting for church. (Roon was a secretary of sorts to the bishopric, so he had to attend these meetings also). We were by far, the youngest people along for the ride. The subject of my pregnancy came up, and it was a major topic, since we had opted not to find out the sex of the baby. They were asking how we were picking a name, if we didn't know what it was. I said that we had picked names for both a boy and a girl, so it was covered. Since we had also decided we were not going to tell either of the names until the baby was born, when they asked, I opted to distract them with the story of Cameron making fake suggestions.

It was then, that I embarrassed myself by saying this...

"One of Roon's suggestions is James. He thinks it would be funny to have a Jimmy Carter. It would be cool if I were a fan of his in general, but since I don't particularly care for the name James, I vetoed it."

Not too bad, right? WRONG! As soon as the words escaped my lips, it occurred to me who was sitting at my immediate left...

Brother JAMES So-and-so.

My only hope was that he hadn't heard what I had said, since he was like a hundred years old.

Moral of the story? Before you speak, you should just take a glance around and edit your comments accordingly. Of course, if I did that, I would have much less to blog about...

Now, head on over to Myya's, read other tales of toes on the tongue, and link up with her. I can't be the only one with stories such as these, right?

3 comments:

VandyJ said...

I live on a steady diet of shoe leather. Some days I have a serious case of foot in mouth disease. Stopping to think first would save me but I forget to think first.

Myya said...

Names are a definite source of foot in mouth! So you are one of THOSE people who don't find out... there is no way I could wait. My lil sister is pregnant now... she find out the sex but keeps the name a secret... uggghhh, that is awful too! Whenever anyone tells me names they are thinking of I always find something nice to say about them or pick 1 I like more if they give me numerous otherwise could you imagine them having the baby & then you go to visit and they remember in the back of thier head that you told them months back you hated thier kids name.

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

hheee hee hee "my life is like a scrapbook of what NOT to say" Indeed. That is classic!