Sunday, January 8, 2012

Resolution, Smesolution.

I have a confession.

I do not believe in New Year's Resolutions. 

I don't!

Not even a little bit.

That could very well be because I've never been able to keep them. 

Well, ALMOST never.

New Year's Day 2002 I resolved to have a baby that year.  Roon and I had already been trying to get pregnant for 9 months, so I thought it would be a cinch to keep.  When March came and went, and I was still without child, I tweaked my resolution in hopes to just get pregnant sometime before the 2003 ball dropped.  In early May, I learned I was expecting Sissy, and was given a due date of December 28th. 

That was the beginning and the end of my success with New Year's resolutions.  But not from lack of trying. 

At least half a dozen times in our 11 years of marriage, Roon and I have resolved to lose weight and get out of credit card debt.  One week of exercise, a few sore muscles, and paying off one credit card with our tax return later, we would revert right back to our old ways. 

And we were never any better off as we sipped our sparkling cider the next year.

This has led me to believe that resolutions are just one more way for me to fail at something, and then give me reason to beat myself up. 

Not a good thing when you bruise like a peach.

So why do I bring this up?

Because, while I think resolutions are stupid, I DO believe in goal setting.  Goals that don't have to wait until Monday, or January First, or your birthday to begin.  Because why wait until Monday to change your life for the better?

June 16, 20ll, I looked like this:


And, no, I'm not going to give specific weights or sizes.  Mainly because...I'm embarrassed. 

Roon and I decided we were sick of being fat.

We bought a treadmill, downloaded calorie counting apps for our phones, and jumped right in.  No Monday or January 1st required.

I did my official weigh in on a Thursday.

Slowly, but surely my hard work paid off. 

When I started, I could only do 20 minutes on the treadmill, with a speed of 2.0 and next to no incline.  NOW, I can RUN at a 4.6 with a 4-5 incline for several minutes, and speedwalk at a 7-10 incline for up to an hour. 

Not too shabby for a heart patient...

Wanna see the results?


Who needs "resolutions"?!

I'm currently down 46 pounds, and am 6 pounds away from my goal weight!

My reward, aside from looking HOT for my husband, is to head to Utah for a WEEK to visit my REAL LIFE friend EVELYN, and finally meet my [practically] real life friend, Xazmin

I CAN'T WAIT!

So what are you NOT resolving to do? 

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

14 comments:

Xazmin said...

Sami!! You look FANTASTIC!!! I am so jealous and so proud of you...all at the same time!

I guess I better get busy if I'm going to look at least a LITTLE less fat for our first face to face!

You have done a lot to be proud of this past year!

Macey said...

You. Are. Awesome!!

Mamarazzi said...

you look amazing. how wonderful that you get to spend a week with your friends.

happy new year.

Jen said...

SAMI!!!! You look AMAZING!!!!!!! I'm so proud of you, girl! I know how hard you've worked for this. You give me motivation to get off my duff and get back to this myself. :) I'm so happy for you! Have fun in Utah!

Bart and Em said...

Sami, you look smokin! I am still highly impressed by how good you and Roon have done :) You have inspired me to be better!

Bridget said...

Congratulations, girl! You look amazing!!

Heather said...

That is AWESOME! I am the same way with resolutions, and like you would rather set a goal! I started in last week at Royse City Fitness and just 7 days later my body feels better (besides being sick today). I just hope I can do as well as you!

Myya said...

Sami that is so super awesome. How proud you must be! You look FANTASTIC. I sooo hope that my today brings many more days of dedication to activity & watching what I eat. I sooo wanna join your double digit loss club!!!

Brandon and Diedre Sloan said...

You are and look AMAZING!! Way to go!! love you Sami!!

Sarahie said...

That is awesome and so inspiring! Way to talk up the goal-setting; you make it look good! And, I totally agree. Congratulations and have so much fun on your trip!

Jess said...

You have been rocking it, lady! I'm so glad you get a trip after all your hard work!

Jessica G. said...

You are one HAWT MOMMA! And I want in on your secret, there.
My only resolution this year is to do my best to survive my next bionic upgrade. :)

Allyson said...

I'm so happy for you, Sam! You look amazing, and I'm sure you feel great too. You're awesome!

Impulsive Addict said...

HEY! I didn't know you were blogging again! I took a chance and clicked over!

LOOK HOW AMAZING YOU LOOK! I'm super impressed.

Are you doing myfitnesspal for your weight and calories? I'm on there if you are.

GOOD FOR YOU! xoxo